does anyone want to buy a pickaxe?

Technically, I suppose a prospector is someone who explores various regions looking for gold (or other ores, minerals, deposits, whathaveyous).  They’re generally hunched over,  grizzled, carry a pickaxe and ride a burro.  Their lives, though, are necessarily much more glamorous than mine has been this term–they’re practically swimming in gold, I say!  Academic prospectors, while similarly pale, hunch-shouldered and grizzled, can only claim to be swimming in photocopies.  We have no need for burros, unless it is to pull a cart full of books.  Pickaxes, though…but I digress.   The point is, I’ll no longer be needing this pickaxe.  If anyone wants it please let me know.

[Can you guess my news?]

9 thoughts on “does anyone want to buy a pickaxe?

1. Albertus Magnus December 1, 2004 / 4:32 pm

[Can you guess my news?]

Umm, you got a 24/7 pass to the library? …Or wait! You’re now the librarian!

2. vague December 2, 2004 / 11:16 am

no….not exactly. but it’s good news!

3. ninotchka December 3, 2004 / 1:56 pm

ooh, are you finished with the teaching part of your degree for good?

4. ninotchka December 3, 2004 / 1:58 pm

um, if i’m right, i’ll take that pickaxe, provided that the gods of admission will allow me to wield it. bet it needs sharpening, huh?

5. vague December 3, 2004 / 3:22 pm

close again, but not quite it (I shall be a teacher for life, it seems). Look to the “prospector” part of the clue–It seems vague is too vague on this one.

And yes, the old pickaxe has seen quite a bit of use, but I try to heep it sharp (heh heh). It’s in quite good condition, really!

6. Albertus Magnus December 3, 2004 / 4:32 pm

Ahh. Your prospectus was accepted? And you have a thesis advisor lined up?

7. vague December 3, 2004 / 4:48 pm

Ding ding! Just doing the final revisions right now. Scarily, after this, I’ll have to start on the first *chapter*. I’ll be writing a *book* with actual *chapters* in it. That I am baffled by this possibility might indicate I am not up to the task. Might, but probably doesn’t.

8. wierd-o November 15, 2005 / 3:40 pm

what the f*** r u talking about i h8 the librarry it sucks

9. vague November 15, 2005 / 6:33 pm

Dude, I am, like, so totally, like, not, like, surprised.