In lieu of an actually thoughtful post on any of these subjects, here is a list of discoveries I have recently made:
- Everything tastes better with spinach (not, in fact, bacon, as others have argued).
- Getting 7-8 hours of sleep and exercising regularly makes me into a much, much happier person and makes the world into a much, much more reasonable place to live.
- I am not compatible with the weather in my part of the country at all, and should devote as much energy as possible to finding a job somewhere that is else.
- My students can inspire me in completely unexpected ways, just when I really need them to.
- Finally, on a more pedestrian level, there is a paper towel roll holder in my kitchen — the kitchen in the apartment where I have been living for two years! — that I only last week discovered.
Tell me, have you learned anything new lately?
Recent discoveries on this side of country:
1. Climbing mountains, even small ones, may or may not result in lower back pain that feels like the mountain punched me.
2. I’m not cut out for home ownership. The waste water pipe leading out of my bathroom has a hole in it. My landlord is on vacation. I’m hoping that the packing tape I wrapped it in will hold it together until he returns.
3. True Blood: bad accents be dammed, it’s still downright watchable.
Ooh, I haven’t watched the new True Blood yet. Hopefully I’ll have time to catch up soon. It takes me a good 15-20 minutes before I don’t feel like screaming about their need for a dialect coach, though.
Also, re the hikes you and D. have been mentioning and the pictures you keep posting, well, it just makes me long for a good mountainy adventure. Sadly I have no mountains here and it is like a steam bath outside! Anyway, take care of the back (so I can keep enjoying it all vicariously).
Thanks, A the V. The weather out here has been unseasonably cool and poopy these past few weeks, which makes me long for some good ol’ SE heat/humidity. I guess the climate is always greener on the other side of the country. Man, I’m bad with parables.
We’re aiming to do some kinda crazy waterfall hike this weekend with drop-offs that require hikers to cling to ropes. Supposedly, at least one person fell off a cliff up there in March. Sure to be exciting, provided I recuperate by Saturday.