Our Heroine Withdraws to the Taiga

I went on a long but relatively easy hike this morning with Golightly and her boyfriend, and we spotted many a lovely nature-like thing.  Here are some photographs for you to enjoy:

Cute bridge leading into the woods.
Gentle leaves, gentle leaves, please array a path for me. The woods are blowing thick and fast around.
Reflective pond, swarming with dragonflies.
Annan water, you loom so deep and wide.
Rustic old barn hit by the sunlight.
I’m made of bones of the branches, the boughs, and the browbeating light.
I think I saw a shape-shifting faun-prince in these woods. Don't mess with his mom.
And all the while whispering arbors provide cover / What previous witnessed ardors of our lovers / Our heroine here falls prey to her abductor!

If you see any wounded fawns in the woods, just don’t piss off their mothers.

[Ed. Note For the Pop-Culture Impaired: these are song lyrics.]

6 thoughts on “Our Heroine Withdraws to the Taiga

1. L July 25, 2009 / 10:18 pm

Stuck in my head now! I liked the last album much better — I felt like this one was just slightly too rock-opera for me — but I should give it another go.

2. L July 25, 2009 / 10:18 pm

PS The pictures are great!

3. John July 26, 2009 / 9:03 am

I have no idea what song those lyrics are from. I am pop-culture impaired!

And taiga? Are you at least north of 40 there?

4. Vague July 26, 2009 / 1:35 pm

L – Thanks. I really, really liked this album. But that may be partly because I am a secret prog-rock junkie. I love me some Jethro Tull.

J – This is the album in question – the title of this post is also from the lyrics.

5. Brandon July 26, 2009 / 2:47 pm

This hike looks much more serene and sensible than some of the ones Dan(imal) and I have tackled this summer. We were nearly blown off the top of Saddle Mountain during a rainstorm back in June. A trek out to Tilamook Head turned into a mud-soaked slog yesterday. Now we’re slated to climb up Thielsen Mountain with Senor Hunt in a few days. Based on a Google image search, it looks like Bald Mountain from the end of Fantasia. If ghosts start flying around I’ll be heading back to the car.

6. John July 26, 2009 / 9:52 pm

Ahhh. Now all the pieces fall into place…