It may be my winter break, but I have still managed to be busy, busy, busy. I am getting ready for my dad and brother’s visit down here for the holiday, which entails a lot of cleaning, organizing, and planning. I realized that it was all fine and good that I had a Christmas tree, but it would be even better if I had presents to go under it. Likewise, the vegan Christmas dinner I am planning would be best presented on the surface of, say, a dining table instead of a coffee table. Just for example.

IKEA to the rescue, as usual! I found a very cute, simple, glass-topped table and four chairs for a very reasonable price, and got it all assembled just now. I have even managed to find a few presents that are, I hope, not entirely lame and/or thoughtless. (I am bad at shopping for my male family members. What do boys even like? Worse yet, they always already have everything they would want. Sigh.) But at any rate, I think it’s shaping up to be a top-notch Christmas chez moi.

I’m just a little nervous about it because I have never hosted for a holiday before and my family are all omnivores and I am making them a Tofurkey and on and on. It’ll be good though. I just can’t forget the brandy for the egg soy nog. I think anyone can forgive me for serving soy nog if there’s enough brandy in, right?

In other holiday news, I mailed out my cards and mix CDs to all you lovely people earlier today, so be on the lookout for an envelope from me. I hope you all enjoy it! I do have to warn you that there is one oh-sweet-fancy-moses unbelievably cheesy song on there — you’ll know the one when you hear it — but I just couldn’t HELP MYSELF. I had to do it. HAD TO.

And, to bring this holiday post to a close, I offer you a photograph of my dog in front of the tree, 1980s Polaroid style.

IMG_0553

“Happy Holidays,” says Cap’n Snuggles, “now why is there no giant rawhide bone under this tree?”

6 thoughts on “My Tree is Lit; My Tofurkey is Thawing. Now Bring Me a Soy Nog and Don't Hold the Brandy!

1. Clarabella December 19, 2009 / 11:48 pm

It sounds just lovely! I am only sad that the card/cd will come while we are in Philly & I won’t have the chance to listen to it while we’re there. But! It will be a lovely surprise when we come home. Happy Christmas!

2. Kate December 20, 2009 / 8:22 pm

Dang, too bad about the timing. But it’ll be there when you get back.

Also, I am feeling much more optimistic and relaxed after finally getting my laundry done, house clean, and pre-cookable foods pre-cooked.

Tomorrow: Must remember to buy wine (couldn’t buy it today as I went to the store before noon and it was Sunday. Feh.).

3. Kristen December 20, 2009 / 8:31 pm

Love the picture, and sounds like you’ll have a positively lovely Christmas. We’re still figuring out our plans, but it looks like we’re hosting for an ever-expanding number of people, so, you know, wish me luck. It would be easier to work ahead if I didn’t have jury duty this week!

4. Kate December 21, 2009 / 2:40 pm

K- You must be stressed! I bet you’ll have a great time, though. Jury duty, though. MAN.

5. Brandon December 22, 2009 / 5:43 pm

My disc arrived in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much. Last year’s edition lived in my car’s CD player for a good chunk of the winter. Happy holidays!

I still need to give tofurkey a shot one of these days.

6. Kate December 23, 2009 / 11:04 am

Yay! It made it all the way to you, and relatively fast! That means everyone else should soon be getting or have already gotten theirs. Happy Holidays to you, too!